Tuesday, February 28, 2012

http://cambriahebert.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Tellmesomethingbanner1.jpg  (link to Cambria's Meme banner - I have no idea how to do this stuff, can ya tell??)

Welcome to my first Tell Me Something Tuesday meme!  This is in response to Cambria Hebert's question:

Tell Me Something:
If you could travel into any book to the setting and meet the characters which book would it be and why?


To which I have to answer ... DAY-UM ... wow.  I can think of lots of places I'd love to visit - Pern, Tarzan's jungle, Lestat's New Orleans, the future of the Pact Arcanum... you can get the idea.  Like Cambria, if I went into all of them, it would make you want to gouge out your eyes to avoid reading any more!  LOL  Now, considering the danger involved, I would STILL say that I would want to visit Pern.  Follow this linkie-winkie for a map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/Pern_kaart.jpg/300px-Pern_kaart.jpg I would love to see a fire lizard, ride a dragon, TALK to a dragon ... I would love to visit the Harper Hall and meet some of my favorite people - it would have to be back before Robinton dies, of course, because I would absolutely HAVE to meet him!

If you haven't read Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels, folks, you don't know what you are missing!  Yes, there is the ever-present danger of Threadfall, but to combat that, the original settlers genetically engineered the local fire lizards and created both the magnificent dragons of Pern - who telepathically bond with a single rider at hatching - and the somewhat twisted watch whers, which are used in the mines, as well as stationed in high places around the weyrs to sound an alarm when Thread is coming.  The dragons (and any local fire lizards as well) chew firestone - a local rock that will cause dragons to breath fire - and then they and their human friends fly and fight Thread.  It's all very thrilling!

Well, sadly Anne McCaffrey has left this world - I can hope she is in a wonderful place with dragons to ride.  Her son has tried to take the reins on the Pern novels, but he's too focused on action and they're just not as good.  At any rate, here are the Pern novels straight from Wiki, for those who are now intrigued!




Thanks to CambriaHebert.com for hosting this weekly Meme!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.