Thursday, May 3, 2012

Review: Blue Kansas Sky


Blue Kansas Sky
Blue Kansas Sky by Randy Attwood

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Note: Originally read Sept. 2011, I am re-posting this and adding the review to Amazon.

Synopsis: A tale of snooker on the Kansas Prairie, set in Larned, KS. Circa 1965. Larned State Hospital is but a few miles outside Larned, Kansas. Jim, who lives on the grounds where he father, the dentist of the mental hospital, has housing. He rides the bus with the few patients who are granted permission to visit Larned on Saturday mornings. Jim goes to meet a friend to play snooker and learns some valuable lessons about race and also about himself.

My Thoughts: Told from the point of view of a person who lives the same life as Brad in Crazy About You, but has a very different attitude toward the inmates of the Larned Asylum, the main gist of the story is about playing snooker. But, like all of Randy’s works, that is not all there is to it. I’ll say this much - I don’t know squat about snooker, but he made the game – which is, I think, a metaphor for other things – very exciting. I won’t tell you what I think it is a metaphor for; I’ll let you draw your own conclusions. Check it out.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.