Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Guest Post: Candace Bowen Early: "Renewing Myself"

Good morning my followers (imagine me doing a pseudo-benedictory thing here)! Just a quick note: some of you may have been aware I had a bit of a scare yesterday with my eyes; I'd been having symptoms of retinal detachment and went to see an ophthalmologist yesterday to have it checked out. Good news: my eyes are fine. Bad news: we have no idea why I have a splotch in my visual field of my right eye. I need to see a neurologist. Since I have no insurance and am not independently wealthy, I can't afford to do that, so... no idea what to do.

Anyway, that's just to let you know what's going on. What's important is that I have a guest post today from Candace Bowen Early (I use the name under which her books are published to help you with search efforts)! You might recognize that name, what with my recent review of her novel Wicked Embers or maybe the giveaway I currently have running (and if you haven't signed up to win yet - what are you waiting for?). Candace writes romance novels that I actually like! *gasp* yeah, I know, it's amazing! So, without further ado, here she is!

~RENEWING MYSELF~

I tend to be a nervous person when it comes to certain situations. I suppose most introverts usually are. So long as I am not the center of attention, I generally go about my daily life as if I were a normal person. Yes, you read that correctly. I do not consider myself to be normal by any standards.

The day I began my first novel, A Knight of Silence, was an eye-opener for me. Through writing I had finally found a way to express myself. The feelings I bottled up for years flowed through my fingers onto the page. You can find some of my innermost thoughts and musings within the pages of my novels. However, if I were asked to voice my feelings, I would shut down and withdraw into myself. In the past there has been some debate within my inner circle about whether I am just quirky or flat out eccentric. Since I think of the reclusive billionaire Howard Hughes when I hear the term eccentric, I steadfastly claim the quirky label for myself.

As my writing career began to pick up speed, I felt liberated by having an outlet to express myself. My only regret is that I did not start my writing career years earlier. The satisfaction and joy I feel at seeing one of my books listed for sale is a feeling I hope every aspiring writer feels one day. However, these feelings are often countered by the nervous anticipation I feel wondering how well one of my novels will be received by the reading public. The anxious feelings tend to remain with me until I receive my first unsolicited review. It is only then that I feel free to release the novel from my mind and move to the next story waiting to be written.

Along with my innermost thoughts, my moods are often reflected in my writing. Unfortunately, that is not always a good thing. Immediately prior to my going through an acrimonious divorce, I received a contract for my novel, A Knight of Battle -- The second book in my Knight Series. Although I had previously worked out the plotline to the story in my head, when I sat down to write the novel, I realized I was missing the passion necessary to write a romance.

I knew my first attempt had fallen flat even before it was brutally critiqued by my greatest fan and toughest critic, Mom. Letting go of the vortex of negativity overrunning my life, I managed to recapture my spark for writing, scrapped my first draft, and crafted a true romance. Despite all odds to the contrary, I finished the novel a week ahead of deadline and knew even before my mom gave it the coveted thumbs-up that she would approve.

Regardless of nerves and stress, I had once again created a story that I could proudly put my name on -- my recaptured birth name, Candace C. Bowen.

August 17, 2012

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting me, Katy! I hope everything works out well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hey, thanks for dropping by! Glad to have you!

      Delete

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.