Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review: Changes


Changes
Changes by Jim Butcher

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Urban Fantasy

Please note: If you are reading this anywhere but Goodreads, the spoilers will be removed. On Goodreads, the spoilers will be under tags.

Short Stories Reviews: First, before reading Changes, I read a short story called “Even Hand" from an anthology. This story... oh, wonder of wonders, this story is told from the point of view of Marcone! Lovely, lovely! I love Marcone! We learn a bit more about the inner workings of the man in this book, and I loved every moment of it. For example, this is his way of dealing with the rampant destruction that Dresden tends to bring to his location: “After a few visits from Dresden and his ilk, I had invested in cheap, light doors at dramatic (as opposed to tactical) entry points.” That’s all I can tell you; it’s a short story, and I don’t want to spoil it for you, but it was awesome!

Now, then, moving on to Changes...

My Thoughts: You will notice that below, the end of the synopsis is under a spoiler tag. While the “spoiler” is revealed in the very first sentence of the book, it’s major, and I don’t want anyone who hasn’t already read this book to not be surprised, if that makes any sense?

The interesting thing is that I read this book before, but reading it this time, it was as though I had not. I could not remember any of it (well, no, I remembered the main spoilerific bits, but the details? Completely gone). I think because it was so hard for Harry. Everything that could possibly go wrong did in this book, and it was hard to read. I know this book turned a lot of people off of the Dresden files, and even more after Ghost Story (or so I have heard), which I think is a pity. So many threads are coming together now, so many details from the start of the series are starting to coalesce into the reasons behind things, and that’s really neat to watch.

Harry loses a lot of things in this book. The Blue Beetle. His apartment. His freedom. His integrity. Susan. In the end, his life (sorta). But he gains things, too. A daughter, most importantly. His mother’s ruby, which provides him the information and access to her knowledge of the Ways. But... this book is hard. I wanted to cry so many times while reading it. It just broke my heart. But at the same time... it’s important. And I think the next will be even more so...

Now, this completes my re-reading of the books in the Dresden Files I have already read. The next three (Side Jobs, Ghost Story and Cold Days) are all books that will be new to me, and I’m very excited to read them! Don’t expect to hear much from me while I finally settle down to read them.

Disclosure: I purchased this book in hardcover for myself, and backup e-book copy. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Long ago, Susan Rodriguez was Harry Dresden's lover—until she was attacked and left struggling with the bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. Now, she needs Harry's help. Harry's enemies have found the secret she has hidden for so long, and he will have to unleash the full fury of his untapped power.

Because this time, he's fighting to save his "child."



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.