Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Review: Death Masks


Death Masks
Death Masks by Jim Butcher

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Urban Fantasy

My Thoughts: This is the first of the books in this series in which I’ve seen any significant editing errors, such as a car’s “breaks” and Larry Fowler being called “Jerry” at one point. The formatting is a bit screwed up in my copy, too, but nothing too distracting; mostly it is that almost every use of “Red Court” is italicized and put upon its own line. This is an e-book edition (my backup copy), though, and a fairly old one, but take that with a bucket of salt. Or a pillar, depending upon your proclivities.

This book introduces some of my favorite characters. Butters. Shiro. Sanya. Ivy (the Archive). Kincaid. The Denarians. Yeah, I really like the Denarians, because they are just such wonderful villains. And if you’ve been following my reviews, you know how I feel about villains!

At any rate, this is an important and pivotal book in the series, so be sure not to miss it. The train keeps chugging along...

Disclosure: This is my book, I purchased it for myself in hardcover. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing professional wizard, should be happy that business is pretty good for a change. But now he's getting more than he bargained for. 

A duel with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, who must kill Harry to end the war between vampires and wizards... 

Professional hit men using Harry for target practice... 

The missing Shroud of Turin... 

A handless and headless corpse the Chicago police need identified...

Not to mention the return of Harry's ex-girlfriend Susan, who's still struggling with her semivampiric nature. And who seems to have a new man in her life. 

Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. No matter how much you're charging.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.