Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Review: Turn Coat


Turn Coat
Turn Coat by Jim Butcher

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Urban Fantasy

Short Stories Reviews: First, before reading Turn Coat, I read two of the short stories from the anthologies, “Curses” and “AAAA Wizardry,” since I had PDF copies of them. “Curses” is basically about someone hiring Dresden on behalf of a corporation to try to remove a curse. Can’t say more than that without ruining it, but it’s a fun story. I absolutely love the Welsh folklore that is used in the story, and recommend you read it if you have a chance. It won’t take you long, although the whole anthology might... “AAAA Wizardry” is about Harry teaching a class to up-and-coming new Wardens about how to investigate various supernatural threats. It alternates with a story dealing with a threat to a member of Paranet by way of explanation of the theories Dresden is teaching. Quite interesting story, very well-done. It also explains why you should use salt, and not sugar, to make your magic circles on the floor, just in case you were wondering. You’re missing a lot in the Dresden-verse, I think, when you’re missing the shorts, which is why most of the anthologies containing Dresden stories are on my wishlists, but I only have one of them at this time, so I was happy to find these shorts for now.

Now, then, moving on to Turn Coat...

My Thoughts: This book always outrages me in the beginning. I mean, the gall of Morgan, after all these years of treating Harry like scum, to come crawling to him like that? Harry is a much better person than I am, I’ll tell you that. I know that Harry has a better understanding as to why Morgan does what he does, but geez... Everytime Harry leaves the house in this book, he comes back to find Morgan and Molly at each others’ throats (which is actually sort of funny). But at the end of the book, Morgan breaks my heart. I can’t really say more than that, but... read it. You’ll see.

Senior Council member Listens to Wind (aka Injun Joe) is a really impressive dude. For example:
Injun Joe was generally regarded as the most skilled healer on the White Council, and maybe in the world. He had earned doctoral degrees in medicine from twenty universities over the years, and he went back to school every decade or two to help him stay current with modern practice.” That is dedication! Imagine the work he has put into this. Imagine going to medical school twenty times! Dedication. Impressive.

This book is sort of a turning point for a lot of the characters. I was practically in tears. The next one... the next one has to be read to be believed. Don’t miss it!

Disclosure: I purchased this book in hardcover for myself, and backup e-book copy. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: When it comes to the magical ruling body known as the White Council, Harry keeps his nose clean and his head down. For years, the Council has held a death mark over Harry's head. He's still thought of as a black sheep by some;and as a sacrificial lamb by others. But none regard him with more suspicion and disdain than Morgan, a veteran Warden with a grudge against anyone who bends the rules.

Like Harry.

So when Morgan turns up asking for help, Harry isn't exactly eager to leap into action. Morgan has been accused of treason against the White Council;and there's only one final punishment for that crime. he's on the run, he wants his name cleared, and he needs someone with a knack for backing the underdog.

Like Harry.

Now Harry must uncover a traitor within the Council, keep a less than agreeable Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head.

Like Harry...



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.