Monday, June 24, 2013

Review: Black Magic Woman


Black Magic Woman
Black Magic Woman by John G. Hartness

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of the series, urban fantasy
Trigger Warnings: violence

My Thoughts: So, I started reading this series on a Sunday morning, and here it is about 24 hours later and I'm about to begin this final novella that I purchased to complete the series. Or it was complete as of the time I bought this book, about a year and a half ago. A book of short stories has been released since then, but the last word I saw on the next book in the series was late in 2012, saying “book 4 early in 2013”, which has come and gone, sadly, with no new Black Knight Chronicles. Nonetheless, here we go. What did I think of this second novella related to the series?

Well, if you haven't read anything of the series, you won't quite catch all the subtle undercurrents in the story. It'll just be a story about a couple goofy guys at a con. However, for the fans of the series, this will be another little story that will be fun and interesting, and I think there might be some foreshadowing going on, something to do with Sabrina, that we will only find out for certain in the next book, whenever it shows up. So, fans of the series should definitely not miss this short; those who have not yet experienced the Black Knight Chronicles might want to start nearer the beginning.

Series Information: Black Magic Woman is the second novella in the Black Knight Chronicles.
Book 1: Hard Day's Knight, review linked here where formatting allowed
Book 2: Back in Black, review linked here where formatting allowed
Novella 1: Movie Knight, review linked here where formatting allowed
Book 3: Knight Moves, review linked here where formatting allowed
There is also a book of short stories called Knight (un)Life - Black Knight Shorts Vol. 1, which I do not currently have. He has a number of other books, including his Bubba Monster Hunter books, a number of which I currently have as well.

Disclosure: I bought this book for myself. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: It's the annual comic convention—what can go wrong?

You just had to ask, didn't you?

The boys from Black Knight Investigations get tangled up in more than they ever bargained for when they try to help a lost kid find his dad. Hilarity does not ensue when an ancient soul-sucker shows up to drain the local nerd population of vitality and life energy.

If you've ever wondered who would win in a knock-down, drag out fistfight between Jimmy Black and Greg Knightwood, here's your chance to find out!



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews, Katy. Book 4 is in edits right now and we're working on a late 2013 release. I have high hopes for getting the book out this fall, and I'll keep you posted as soon as it drops. Knight (un)Life features reprints of this story and Movie Knight, plus Gone Daddy Gone which is available singly as well. If you'd like review copies of any of these, feel free to hit me up on the twitter machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, cool, if "Gone Daddy Gone" is the only story in it I'm missing, I'll probably just grab THAT one, but we'll see. I have 'em both on my wishlist :-)

      And yay! Also hoping to see #4 later this year!

      Delete

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.