Saturday, June 22, 2013

Review: Night Chill


Night Chill
Night Chill by Jeff Gunhus

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Horror
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of horror who don't have children
Trigger Warnings: danger to children, dying children (due to illness), kidnapping (young women and children), apparent murder attempts, actual murder attempts, murder, torture, mental torture

My Thoughts: Wow, this was a seriously messed-up book! It is absolutely full of triggers to freak out parents, so be warned: if you have children, this will probably freak you out more more than it did me. It is very fast-paced, and absolutely full of misdirection. Gunhus is always fooling you into making the wrong interpretation of events, and is very good at it.

I had just read his second Jack Templar, Monster Hunter book, and while I enjoyed this book, it wasn't quite as good as that one. The problem I had is that many of the characters in this book were sort of flat. A lot of character development was sacrificed to plot pace. I am no writer, so I have no idea how I would have developed the characters any better, but to me the story would have been better if the characters were a bit more rich. Don't hold it against the book! I enjoyed the book a lot, and if you like horror, and don't have children to freak out about, you should enjoy this story.

This is listed as being the first book in a series. I'm not sure where he plans to go with this, but I will certainly be along for the ride. Gunhus is a good writer, and I look forward to whatever comes next.

Disclosure: I was given this book as a gift from a friend. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Jack Tremont moves his family to the quiet mountains of Western Maryland hoping to leave behind a troubled past and restart his life. Instead, he finds himself caught up in a nightmare when his daughter Sarah is targeted by Nate Huckley, a mysterious and horrifying stranger driven by a dark power that will stop at nothing to possess Sarah. When Sarah goes missing, suspicion falls on Jack and he must uncover the secrets of the small mountain town of Prescott City and face the evil secret hidden there. As he digs further, he learns the conspiracy reaches more deeply than he could have imagined. Finally, he will have to face the question: What is a father willing to do to save his child? The answer? Anything. Anything at all.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.