Monday, July 1, 2013

Review: Zeus, Inc.


Zeus, Inc.
Zeus, Inc. by Robin Burks

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy/Sci-Fi/PI
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of PI stories, Greek mythology, and/or futuristic sci-fi thrillers.
Book Available: An updated and revised edition will be available July 6, 2013 at all outlets, including Amazon and Smashwords. (Well, technically it's already available, but the “official” release date is July 6).
Trigger Warnings: violence, including a man hitting a woman, murder

My Thoughts: This has elements of many of my very favorite types of stories. Science-fiction (futuristic setting), Urban Fantasy (the otherworldly Pip), and PI story (the main character is a PI). I mean, I just can't see how that sort of combination could possibly go wrong, you know?

I was constantly delayed on this book. First day there was my cousins' wedding, which kept me from reading more than a few pages. After sleeping most of Sunday, I settled in to read, but kept being interrupted (don't you EVER interrupt me when I'm reading a book...), so that kept me from finishing. Then I had editing. Well, I FINALLY finished several DAYS after starting, and this isn't a terribly long book, so you see how much it all slowed me down.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. I was absolutely right: all the elements of all my favorite types of genres blended together made a book that I found just irresistible, and to make things better, this is obviously the beginning of a series, so I'll be hoping for another book soon!

Now, I can't really comment on the editing, because the copy I had is the old edition, and it has been revised and revamped for this new release. I am very glad, because the editing on this one was really very poor, and if I didn't know it had been revised that would have lost it a star. However, I have high hopes that the revisions to this will have taken care of most of these issues.

If you like PI stories, if you are fascinated by Greek mythology, and if you enjoy futuristic thrillers, check out this very fun story. Recommended!

Disclosure: I won this in a giveaway. Because I'm forgetful, I also accepted it from the author for review. At any rate, my copy was free, and exchanged for an honest review, even if I had already won a copy. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: 50 years ago, Zeus, Inc., and its CEO, the mysterious Joseph Brentwood, saved the world from a major energy crisis by discovering a new unlimited energy resource. Now, in 2069, Mr. Brentwood has gone missing and private eye Alex Grosjean has been hired to find him by his daughter (and Alex's best friend), Aleisha.

Black-outs begin to occur all over the world and somehow Alex believes it's tied to Mr. Brentwood's disappearance. Her search leads her through her own murky past and into the fantastical depths of Hell itself, where she discovers that Mr. Brentwood is not who or what he seems to be.

With the help of an otherworldly man named Pip, Alex must save both Mr. Brentwood and the world. But will she be able to face her own guilty past in order to do it?



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.